Sunday, December 5, 2010

Circuit Training: What a Workout!

This past monday, the 29th of November I continued my peer teaching in EDU 255 in Lab D. I was given Circuit Training to teach and at first I was a bit skeptical, anyone who knows me will almost never see me in the gym working out and if you took one look at me you'd probably agree. In addition, the class had to incorporate a form of technology into our lesson. Technology is a key piece of every classroom and is vital for myself and my peers to be comfortable with it.

When I sat down to write my lesson plan I was determined to make Circuit Training fun for everyone. Circuit Training is a form of high intensity aerobics and resistance training designed to be easy to follow and targets fat loss, muscle building and heart fitness. The best part of Circuit Training is how easy it is, anyone, anywhere can perform a full circuit with little to no equipment. However, Circuit Training is an intense workout that will have you sweating and gasping for breathe if performed properly. Therefore I really wanted to make this fun for everyone.

It was tough to make my lesson fun, especially considering my peers are not to thrilled to be working out so intensely and sweating when I am sure they would rather relax. After much contemplation, I decided to incorporate fun activities at each station that I hoped my peers would enjoy doing. For example, at one station I had my peers run on a 'treadmill', so to speak. A treadmill was not within my budget therefore I modified it a little bit. Rather than have my peers run on a treadmill, I had them do the 'Running Man.' Those not familiar with the Running Man, it is a dance move that was popular in the 1980s. Also, if my peers were not happy with the Running Man, I allowed them to perform a different dance, if they so wished.

For my lesson, I had seven stations set up in one half of the gym that included the treadmill, burpees, planks, jump ropes, step ups, dumbbells and sit-ups. I had modifications at each station if the workout was too intense for anyone. For example, if sit-ups were too strenuous my peers could have done crunches instead. After all of this, I felt that I made my lesson plan as fun as possible.

At the beginning of the lesson I had my peers record their resting heart rates in order to compare them to their heart rates after the workout. After brief viewing of the numbers recorded you can tell instantly once everyone starts working out. Viewing the chart, I can tell those who are working out intensely and those who are not. Heart rate monitors are a great way to see the intensity of my students, those who are and are not working hard. Some students were exhausted after the Circuit Training and their heart rates are so high that they needed to stop in order to get some rest. As seen below, Mark was out of breathe and needed to take a break, which just goes to show how intense the workout really is.


Technology like the heart rate monitors should be and are an integral part of every Physical Education class. Very easy to set up there should be no reason why it is not a part of the curriculum in Physical Education. After becoming familiar with it I feel very confident to do so again in the future.To the left you can see the heart rates of the class. The heart rates are linked to a program on a computer, each heart rate is assigned a number and therefore each student can see their own heart rate.

Going into my lesson I was very confident with my lesson, I had rehearsed what I was going to say and I think everything went well. I had activity progressions laid out and I was ready to go! Of course nothing ever goes according to plan, nonetheless, I feel like I did a good job. On paper however, when I developed the content, I got the impression I did not do a great job with the cues and tasks. Also, looking at my C-9 form almost all of the realms were covered, but not cues. I had a hard time with the cues because there we just so many! With seven stations the cues were countless. Looking back at it now I should have just had universal cues for each station and went along with that. It was a great learning experience though and I am glad I had this opportunity and look forward to the next time I can teach. In addition, I set up a 12 day block plan that can be very helpful in the future as a physical educator.

My feedback was really well, the best it has been. I was able to give feedback to more than 50% of the class and help them with the cues and tasks. As seen in this picture I was helping Jeremy and Greg with the 'treadmill' or Running Man. I was very pleased with my feedback because prior to Lab D it has not been up to par. I made a point of it to give feedback and will do the same with all future teaching experiences. And I feel I used my time wisely as you can see in this Time Coding Form.

Dr. Yang always has tricks up his sleeves, and during my lab D I had to deal with some unruly students. Under orders from Dr. Yang, my classmates Ben, Laura, Nicole and Anthony were told to make it very hard for me to teach. In every classroom there is always one or more students who give the teacher a hard time and it is to be expected. Thus, I understand why Dr. Yang does so during Lab D and I'm grateful for the learning experience. When my classmates began to get out of hand I handled the situation pretty well but I certainly could have done a better job. I should have broken the trouble-makers up to eliminate the problem immediately to avoid it from the start. This picture will show the trouble they gave me, and I say trouble but it was pretty funny and I enjoyed the challenge.
As I mentioned previously, I was very nervous to teach Circuit Training, but all in all I think I passed with flying colors. I had a lot of fun and I hope my classmates did as well. Below are the videos of my teaching and links to all my documents.



No comments:

Post a Comment